Saturday, May 16, 2009

Relay for Life 2009


We - my family and I - took part in the Relay for Life raising funds for the American Cancer Society for three or four years. We didn't take part last year and with everything going on couldn't do it this year. After I knew that I was going to have a mastectomy, I looked up the date for this year's Relay. I found out that it was 5 days after my surgery. I made it my goal that I should walk in the survivor's lap.

Well, I did it. Deborah drove me to the park. Originally I didn't think that I'd be able to put on the t-shirt. I picked an XL. And I was able to get it on - yeah!! Deborah took some photos. I'll add them to the ones that I have already put on my picasa website album - Relay for Life 2009.

The post-op instructions under activity said 'ok to walk' so I knew that I was cleared to walk. Thursday afternoon, Deborah and I took a walk around the neighborhood. I looked up and down my street and said that if I can walk the length of my block and back, I should be able to walk around the park. Last nite, Tom and I took a long walk. On the way we stopped at Arby's to bring home some food for dinner and then we walked into a flower shop where Tom bought me a beautiful purple silk flower. I love it! Purple & Aqua have become my favorite colors.

1 comment:

  1. Your spunk and determination shows through. Go get'em gal.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete